Student Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)


 Q: How do I dispute my fees?
A: Students will need to submit a Petition for their fees through Admissions & Records for any tuition fees after a deadline, for any reason: Click here to be redirected to their Forms Page and select the appropriate petition for fees, grades, changing section/classes and other topics.

 Q: Will I receive a bill for my fees?
A: The SRJC does not mail out billing statements, however automated reminder emails are sent. It is your responsibility to review your fee balance online in your student portal or inquire with us.

 Q: I am a California resident, but I’ve been charged a non-resident tuition fee. Why?
A: An error may have been made when you completed your application. It is possible that you have failed to meet California residency criteria – residing in California for one year and one day by the first day of term. Please visit the Residency Requirements Page for more information about residency requirements or contact Admissions & Records if you are a resident being charged these fees.

Q: Do I have to pay the Health Service Fee even if I have my own Health Insurance?
A: Yes. This is a District-mandated and State-regulated fee for all students enrolled in credit courses, with waivers for apprenticeship students, students who depend exclusively on prayer for healing, incarcerated students, Study Abroad students, and students enrolled in only contracted or "0" unit courses. For more details regarding the Health Service Fee and the waiver click here

  Q: I am a high school student who has authorization to concurrently enroll at Santa Rosa Junior College. Do I need to pay enrollment fees? If not, what do I need to pay?
A: High school students are exempt from paying Enrollment Fees at Santa Rosa Junior College. You would still need to pay for the student Health Service Fee, Student Representation Fee, Transportation Fee and any applicable instructional material or optional fees. Click here for the High School Dual Enrollment Website.

  Q: When is payment due for my semester fees?
A: Fees will be marked as due/delinquent closer to the start of their corresponding semester. Automated reminders are sent to the email address on file and/or a notification when you access your portal. Generally, you will want to pay your fees off before the semester ends. All fees must be paid off before attempting to register for another semester or requesting your certificate/diploma. If you know you qualify for some type of Financial Aid, it may pay towards your current fees depending on the aid/award/grant. Any unpaid fees that are pending after one or more semesters may be submitted to COTOP.

  Q: Can I pay for my fees in installments?
A: Yes. You can make partial payments with us over the phone or by mailing in a check/money order (with your student ID number notated) throughout the semester.  The student portal does not accept partial payments. - Otherwise SRJC offers installment payment plan options, or payment plans, to students who are attempting to register close to their priority registration date. Please see question on, "How does the Payment Plan work?" further down for related information.


 Q: How do I obtain a refund that is due to me?
A: To receive a full refund, you must first drop all of your unwanted classes before their refund deadline. A refund will usually be automatically processed to the payment type used to pay for the class. Generally if you drop your classes before they even start, you will be automatically issued a refund for all tuition related fees. (This does not include optional fees)

 Q: What is the drop deadline for refund of enrollment, basic and tuition fees?
A: Please view our Fees and Refund Deadlines to view the drop deadline for a refund or credit of general tuition and fees. Notice different fees have different refund eligibility.

The refund eligibility for Enrollment Fees in Summer/Short Term classes will vary. Those dates can be found through the Schedule of Classes and referring to the date links listed under the "Date Begin/End" for each section. Or if you are already enrolled, you can also view the same information in your student portal by viewing your Class Schedule and clicking on the section number, then clicking the date links. 

 Q: How soon after I drop my class(es) will I receive my refund?
A: Refunds for payments made by cash or check are processed every two weeks. Refunds for credit card payments are usually credited directly to the credit card, however, there are times when a check refund will be processed. All refunds are processed automatically for drops within their refund eligibility. Refunds for cancelled classes will be processed automatically once the cancellation is finalized with Admissions & Records. 


 Q: What if my employer or a third party pays for my fees/tuition?
A: Submit your fee voucher to our Accounting Staff. Please click here for direct contact information or call our main phone number to be directed to the correct staff member.

 Q: What if I have a scholarship that pays for my fees/tuition?
A: Please contact the Scholarship Office to facilitate the handling of your scholarship or funding.

 Q: I have a California College Promise Grant (formerly known as Board of Governor’s fee waiver), why do I still have fees?
A: The approved grant (formerly BOGW) exempts you from paying Enrollment Fees only, but you are still responsible for Health Service, Transportation, Student Center, optional and any course/materials fees. 

 Q: Is the California College Promise Grant (formerly known as Board of Governor’s fee waiver) automatically renewed in the new academic year?
A: No, you must reapply for the Promise Grant (formerly known as BOGW) in the summer to qualify for the new academic year because the waiver is based on current income information. Please click here to be redirected to Financial Aid. 


Q: What happens if I register for a class and subsequently stop attending?
A: You will remain officially enrolled in the class and the instructor may submit a withdrawal indicating your last day of attendance, or may issue you a failing grade. Dropping classes is always the student's responsibility. Failure to officially drop the class via the student portal or with the Admissions & Records Office may result in a debt and/or failing grade. You will be responsible for the fee obligation. Any unpaid fees that are pending after one or more semesters may be submitted to COTOP. 

Q: How does the Payment Plan work?
A: Payment Plan Request should be requested 1-2 weeks near a student's Priority Registration Date for those who are attempting to register and with a good financial history with the school. Students will make three equal payments with the first portion due in order register on their priority date and/or open registration. Following payments will be due over the next two consecutive months after approval date. All payments towards the approved Payment Plan must be made over the phone, in person or by check sent by mail. Students who wish to pay for their entire remaining balance at once can do so online. We DO NOT create payment plan options for amounts less than $50 or for any fines charged to the account (such as Financial Aid Overpayments, library fines, etc.). These are applicable for one semester of fees, not multiple. Click here for more information and to apply online.

  Q: Where are students authorized to park with a valid student parking permit?
A: With a valid student parking permit, students are permitted to park in any student parking lot on the campus (student parking is marked by white lines). Students are not authorized to park in any staff or non designated parking space or park in a space designated for handicapped parking without a valid disabled person parking placard or license plate. Additional information regarding parking regulations can be found on the District Police web-page or by clicking here. For general Student Parking FAQ's and updates, click here.

 Q: Can I get a transcript of my grades even though I owe money to the college?
A: Yes, you may still get transcripts even with fees on your account. However you will not be issued any diplomas or certificates until fees have been paid. Click here to be redirected to Admissions & Records Transcripts page. 

 Q: I just received a notice from my bank that a check I made out to SRJC bounced. What should I do?
A: Immediately contact the Accounting Office and make arrangements to redeem your account by paying in cash or credit card. This could result in a $10 returned item charge as well as a suspension of your check writing privileges at SRJC.

If you have additional questions, please call us at 707-527-4973 for the Santa Rosa Campus or 707-778-2467 for the Petaluma Campus. Emails can be sent to: